Friday, June 1, 2012

THE HOUSES OF WEST SUMATRA

Dearest Friends,

I was quite shocked at the variety of architecture styles in W. Sumatra. As I mentioned before, the two below, with the buffalo-peaked roofs, are the traditional style of the Minangkabau people, and the two cottages at the bottom are probably throwbacks from the Dutch colonial period. I'm guessing the one in the middle, that looks like it was built from river rock or maybe lava chunks, was probably just a matter of using what was at hand. Now the one up there at the top, well, I haven't a clue. All I know is that I love, love, love it! Since that is my friend A.M. that I photographed standing in front of it, I'm wondering if that wasn't the house where she and I were invited to come inside and look around. A couple of minutes later we came running back outside, tears streaming down our faces. Turns out a bunch of women were in the kitchen grinding peppers or something. Oh the pain! The agony! They laughed at our wimpiness. We couldn't stop coughing for hours.






No comments: