Friday, September 2, 2011

THE LONGEST MONTH: AN ULTIMATUM

Does this girl look the least bit threatening to you?
Dearest Friends,

When John headed out for his last (hopefully) gig offshore, things really went a little nuts.  First of all, I got word that Mom was headed to the hospital for emergency surgery.  She ended up having her gallbladder removed, which these days is usually a simple "bandaid" surgery, but back then was still a major-scar-leaving ordeal.  I felt so helpless, and guilty for not being there for her.  I really needed my hubby to be there at my side, saying "It's ok Becky.  She understands."

Not only was he not there, I'd gone eleven days without a single word from him!  Finally, several letters showed up at once, only, instead of saying "I should be on the next boat outta here", as I was expecting, he said "Looks like I'll be stuck here at least two more weeks."

The next day I awoke to find my refrigerator had conked out on me , and pretty much all my food was spoiled.  I spent the whole morning down in the souk, trying to find one to rent or buy, but to no avail.  Nothing in the newspaper or at the furniture store, either.  Nellie loaned me their big ice chest as a temporary fix, and another friend's hubby dropped off a bunch of ice when he heard of my predicament.  Then another fellow, who was fixin' to ship out, brought me his little dorm-style fridge.  Unfortunately, it had the wrong type plug on it, so I went in search of an adapter.  No luck on that front either.  According to my diary, I eventually "tried changing the plug out myself", which was quite a shock to read.  Not only do I have no memory of doing that, I wouldn't even have a clue how to go about it if you asked me to do it today!  I suppose it was a successful effort, for there is no further mention of refrigerator woes.

The high point of my month was going to a big farewell bash for one of the VPs.  Again we were at the infamous Pearl Restaurant, but this time, fortunately, we did not all end up with the Hershey Squirts. (yea!)  One of the construction foremen from offshore happened to be there as well, and he went out of his way to seek me out and tell me what a good engineer my hubby was.  Of course, I'd always suspected as much, but it's ever so nice to get confirmation from an unbiased third party!  I walked around with a stupid grin on my face the rest of the evening.

When John had been gone right at a month, I think I may have run into his supervisor, Dennis Chow, at a baseball game.  He was somewhat sleight in stature,  and I may have teasingly grabbed him by his lapels, and may have jokingly made some silly little threats about what I might do to him if my hubby wasn't on that next boat.  He was.

No comments: