Monday, August 29, 2011

PAINFUL GOODBYES AND CRITICAL CROSSROADS

Dearest Friends,

It was mid-June when John came home next, and Paula and Tim had already packed up their house and moved into a hotel.  We had them, and Nellie and Dave, over for one last dinner party.  The next day John spent the whole afternoon printing up some photos he had taken of them, then we went to their hotel to give them the photos and say our goodbyes.  We found them completely discombobulated, for they had received a surprising call from one of the B&R VP's, who just happened to be the brother-in-law of one of Tim's best buddies.   I'm going to let Paula tell you about that in her own words:

"The night we were to fly home, all of our things were already headed to the states on a ship.  Tim got a call from Tony, his friend that was a vp in the marine division.  He said there was a job in Labuan, an island off the coast of Singapore, where Tim would be the safety guy and I would be the teacher for all of the grades. When we asked if we could stop by there on the way home we were told no. Then when we met with the guy that was in Singapore, he was a total ass.  It was hard to wrap your mind around going home and then change overnight and not be sure where you would work or who with, and I knew I could not teach the high school kids!  So we thought and thought, and decided to not take it. Now, if we had been able to go visit and had loved it, our whole lives might have been different !!!!"

All I can say is, I'm awfully glad they didn't, for their own lives weren't the only ones that could have been drastically different.  If not for them being in Houston with us when I had my third miscarriage in a row, and knowing someone who knew someone who'd gone through something similar and found this certain doctor who had figured out what was going on, John and I might still be childless!

Anyhoo, they ended up catching their plane to Houston,  John caught his boat for what would turn out to be his longest stretch ever offshore, and I geared up for my final week of working at Beaute'.

No comments: