Monday, August 22, 2011

SEPARATION ANXIETY


Dearest Friends,

It took a while to sink in, but finally it hit us -- we only had three months left in Bahrain.  Three months in which to spend as much time as possible with these people we had grown so close to; to wrap up loose ends at work; to organize and clean and make repairs at home; to figure out what was going home with us, and what needed to be sold, given away or disposed of; to see all the things in Bahrain we hadn't got around to visiting yet, and return to the places we most enjoyed.  The list went on and on.  I must have felt quite overwhelmed at the thought of it all, for a couple of weeks later, I gave my boss one month's notice.


Another quandary was, what few mementos did we most want to take home with us?  It didn't take my hubby long to figure out what he wanted.  He headed straight down to Gold Street and the antique brass markets.  He bought a couple of nice things for us, but most was given away as gifts.  (How often does a Bohemian-hippie-gypsy-cowgirl have occasion to wear a fancy gold Egyptian collar?)  Too bad.  Perhaps we could have used some of that gold to bolster up our tanking retirement funds, with the way the economy is going these days!


Me, I headed down to the fabric stalls, to gather up a few of the more exotic offerings, then splurged and let one of the local tailors whip up some custom-designed pieces, since I couldn't sew much of anything without a pattern.


Guess I should have held onto more of those as well.  They could have filled a fantastic dress-up trunk for the kids and grandkids!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Becky, when we were in Israel in 1974, my Mother-in-law tried to give me beautiful diamond rings, watch, and necklace. I very politly declined stating that i didn't wear jewelry like that, and for her to save it for a future daughter-in-law. You are right, I was a bohemian then and it did not interest me in the least. Boy was I dumb and short sighted! It is so interesting reading your blogs about this time in your life. It so paralells mine! I met my husband when I had just turned 20 and he was 27! (Susan)

Hill Country Hippie said...

Susan, Can you believe I was only 17 when John and I had our first date? He was a waiter in my dorm at UT. Guess we've been together a little over 40 years now! How did you meet your hubby?