Thursday, August 25, 2011

MISS BECKY THE PRUDE

This close, I tell you!
Dearest Friends,

I'm not sure if my hubby realizes this, but we once came this close to missing out on the friendship of a lifetime!  It was towards the end of our time in Bahrain, when everyone's careers were up in the air, and we were all feeling more than a bit frazzled.

John had left to go back offshore a few days before, and I had driven out to the compound to visit with Paula and Nellie while they both dyed their hair.  Nellie ended up inviting me to stay for dinner, and afterwards, Paula and Tim came back over for dessert and after dinner drinks.

When everyone, except Miss Becky of course, had several drinks under their belts, the subject of the Sheik's private parties came up.  They were all bemoaning the fact that they would have to leave Bahrain without ever having experienced one, when I piped up with "S and BD got invited to one not long ago, and the Sheikh gave them each a fancy gold watch as a party favor!"  Tim came back with something like "That's no party favor.  That's a reward for services rendered.", and that's when the shit hit the fan.  I knew he was half drunk, and should have just laughed it off, but noooooooo.  Miss Becky had to defend her friend's honor and make him eat those words!  She was not successful.  Instead he just laughed at my haughty righteousness and continued to egg me on.  I got so pissed that I grabbed my purse and stomped out, swearing I would never speak to "that damn Toad" again, for the rest of my live long days! (Yes, I really was that big of a prude when I was young.)

Tim probably didn't even remember that conversation the next morning, but fortunately for us all, Paula must have.  The next day he went out of his way to seek me out and apologize for being an ass, and to tell me it was just the booze talking and he we sure BD would never do anything such as he had implied.  And we've all been best friends ever since!

No comments: