Monday, November 28, 2011

LETTERS FROM SUMATRA: 10/30/91


Wednesday, October 30

Dear George & Theda,

Thanks so much for the birthday card.  It got here in plenty of time.  I had a lovely birthday.  I happened to invite a bunch of ladies over to play Bunco that day.  One ended up bringing a cake, and several others brought gifts.  I guess Peggy Reeh had spread the word that it was my birthday!  

We had a blast at the kid's Halloween carnival Saturday.  I couldn't believe how elaborate it was, for such a small school.  John and I worked in the spook house, but our own kids wouldn't even come in!  The best thing about it was that everything was free, even the food!  Apparently they go all out on anything involving the kids here.

I took an all-day cake decorating class a couple of Saturdays ago.  It was really interesting.  I just wish I had done it about eight years ago, so I could have been making all the kid's birthday cakes myself!  John and I finally started taking Indonesian lessons together -- twice a week out at his office.  I think it's kind of fun, but as for your son?  Sheer torture!

They say our shipment should be on the next barge.  Yippee!  I'm a little worried, though, 'cause John is going to be at a school in Medan all next week.  Sure hope I don't have to deal with customs all by myself!  The following week the kids are out of school, so we are going to take a little R&R trip to Penang.  It's an island resort in Malaysia that's supposed to have great beaches and shopping.  Should be fun!

Well, take care.  Oh yeah, Theda, regarding your questions.  I don't remember ordering "Spark" magazine, but who knows?  Also, no, Chef D. was not in love with a man.  He was having an affair with another girl we worked with, even though they were both married and she has three children.  It's just so sad and stupid.

That's all for now.  Write soon.

No comments: