Friday, November 11, 2011

SHE AIN'T SEEN NOTHIN' YET!

Dearest Friends,

It didn't take long for Alexis' teacher to glom onto the fact that she was capable of much more than she was letting on.  Soooo, the next time she spotted John and I in the yard, she came over and chatted with us about it.  She wanted to warn us that she was fixing to put some pressure on Miss Alexis, now that she had settled in, and things were likely to get, well, a bit dramatic let's say.  No joke!

Mrs. Nybakke's class has a going away luncheon for Lexi's friend Melitta, there in the center.
Oh my, how I felt for my poor daughter, for I had gone through just the same thing when I was about three years older than her.  (If only they had caught it this soon!) Towards the end of sixth grade I had a ruptured appendix, and missed several weeks of school, during which the other kids had all taken those standardized aptitude tests. When I got back I wasn't supposed to go to P.E. for a while, so I stayed in with my homeroom teacher to get caught up on all the work I had missed, and to take that aptitude test.  I guess, in working with me one-on-one, she spotted something she wasn't able to see in a classroom of thirty, and that, combined with my aptitude test scores, convinced her that I needed to be moved into the accelerated class for seventh grade -- the year that ended up being one of the worst of my life! (old habits die hard)  Now, I would get to go through it all again with my daughter. Lucky me.  Within a few days, Lex had taken to referring to her teacher (only at home of course) as The Dragon Lady.

A few weeks later the kids and I were driving back from the pool or somewhere, when we happened to pass Mrs. Nybakke walking home, her arms loaded with bags.  We stopped and offered her a ride.  Lex slid to the very back seat, barely saying a word, while the rest of us chattered away cheerfully.  Then, out of the blue, my son turns to Mrs. Nybakke and asks "Why does my sister call you The Dragon Lady?"  I could have died.  I could have throttled him!  Grinning slyly over her shoulder towards my slack-jawed daughter, she replied "Your sister calls me that, does she?  Well, you can tell her for me, she ain't seen nothin' yet!"

Who me?  What did I do?

1 comment:

Hill Country Hippie said...

Via Facebook:
Alexis Lane My brother is a JERK!
6 hours ago · LikeUnlike
*
Kathy Thomas Gerwig Becky - You need to tell Barbara Whatcott what it's like to be a blogger!
6 hours ago · LikeUnlike
*
Peggy Reeh I am really enjoying reading your blog!!!
6 hours ago · LikeUnlike
*
Becky Thomas Lane Kathy, is that Bud's niece? Is she thinking about starting one?
6 hours ago · LikeUnlike
*
Kathy Thomas Gerwig Yes – she put a question on facebook about it.
6 hours ago via · LikeUnlike
*
Jane Jones Me too, Peggy. Those were good times - for the adults anyway
about an hour ago · LikeUnlike
*
Becky Thomas Lane For the kids too. Mine wouldn't trade it for anything -- even if Lex did get off to a rocky start!
4 minutes ago · LikeUnlike
*
Becky Thomas Lane Kathy, feel free to give her my email address, in case she wants to ask me any specific questions about how to get started, or whatever.