Sunday, January 29, 2012

LETTERS HOME: OUR FIRST EASTER

April 19, 1992

Dear George & Theda,

Hope you had a happy Easter. As usual, they overdid it here -- we had to go to three Easter egg hunts this year, not counting the one here at home! They had a sunrise service on the beach Easter morning, which was really nice. Unfortunately, the kids just had to search for eggs before we left for the church service, so we were out there wandering around in the dark, at 5:00 a.m.!


George, I'm afraid I don't have a golf handicap yet. I'm still so bad that there is no point in keeping score. However, my goal is to make myself go practice at least twice a week, so maybe I will get a little better before we get to Odessa.


Theda, I'm really excited about your sculpture workshop. Have you been working on anything? I'm still waiting to see if Alexis got a place at the Girl Scout Camp outside of Dallas (between Athens and Palestine). One of her friends from here is going with her, so I think she will enjoy that -- plus, it would just be so much easier to get her there. When we hear for sure, we can cancel the reservation at Mitre Peak.


P.S. From John: As I mentioned on the phone, just hang onto any mail or packages that come to you. We can pick them up this summer. Anything you mailed now wouldn't get here much sooner anyway. So far everything seems to have gotten here ok. As long as you keep it to a single brown envelope, it seems to come through customs without any problems.

We thought we might be moving into a little bit larger house, but that deal fell through. We were second on the list, but the couple ahead of us had turned down houses a couple of times before.  Wouldn't you know, this time they took it! The location would have been better for the kids. From the way things look, I doubt anyone else will be leaving anytime soon, so no more houses will become available. Guess we'll just have to make do.

It has really been hot over here the last week or so. We are going to have to pick up some bamboo shades to help keep the sun out. We have two rooms that get very uncomfortable during the day. The addition of another window unit AC might help too.

I'm not using all my vacation days this summer so that we will have a few days we can use to take some side trips next year, particularly if we can get anyone to come over for a visit. Maybe we can go up to Bali for 3 or 4 days, then swing back down through Java to Jogjakarta, where all the old temples are located. We have done pretty well this year with saving money, so next year I think we can afford to loosen up a little, and take some trips. Well, guess I'd better close now. Give everyone our regards.

Your Son,
John

No comments: