Thursday, January 19, 2012

LETTERS HOME: PINOCCHIO

Wed. March 25, 1992

Dear George and Theda,

John has this new fancy-schmancy word-processing program that he wants me to learn how to use. I've spent the last hour reading the manual, still don't know what I'm doing, and I could have had 10 letters finished by now. Oh well, here goes.

Yet another play that Alexis wasn't too crazy about, because her costume wasn't "pretty" enough.
Tomorrow is the big performance of Pinocchio, and Alexis is playing a policewoman. Unlike the play that the lower grades put on in the fall, this one is being done by the 3rd through 8th graders. This morning was the dress rehearsal. Although I didn't see it, several people have told me that Alexis did pretty good (at least, she didn't forget any of her lines!). One of the moms is even hosting a cast party for them afterwards, so Lex is pretty excited. We plan to take the video camera tomorrow night, but this time I will make sure that John just tapes the important stuff (Lex) and not the whole darn play!

Arriving guests had to climb through the mouth of the whale to enter the "theatre."
I wouldn't say that I'm becoming a golf lover, but I did go practice my driving with John last weekend, and then went to the course with Peggy Reeh today and played about six holes. It was kind of fun, but I can't imagine ever playing a full 18 holes! About once a month they hold a golf scramble here, for one reason or another, where you are on a team of four and you just play the best ball each time. Everyone keeps trying to talk me into playing in one, but I will have to get a whole lot better before I have the nerve to try that. I'm a nervous wreck if someone is watching me, and can usually manage to swing at the ball 3 or 4 times and miss it altogether! Sure would enjoy having one of you to play a few rounds with me though. It's really nice during the week 'cause you have the whole course to yourself, just about.

One of the big mucky-mucks was here today to hold a meeting with all the guys and discuss what is going on with Mobil. The news is not good. They've decided to lay off almost 1,000 people, and they've totally shut down the Denver and Oklahoma offices. We are not totally immune to the cuts over here, but our odds are a little better since it would be so expensive to send us back home, then pay to move one of the "golden-haired-boys" back over here in our place, but anything's possible. I do worry about all our friends back home though.

Not much else to tell really, but I wanted to send you the kids' school photos, and give you Mrs. Nybakke's great recipe for frozen daiquiris. Watch out though -- this stuff is like drinking a slushy soda pop! It keeps well in your freezer for a long time, so I keep it on hand for unexpected guests. Just mix one can of frozen limeade, one can water, one can 7-Up, and one can light rum. Stir all together in a plastic container and stick it in your freezer. Stir once or twice, once it starts to freeze. When you are ready to serve it, give it a good stir, spoon it into a glass, then pour some more 7-Up or Sprite over it. YUM! (I would double or triple the recipe) Guess that's about it. Take care, and write soon!

P.S. Please let Uncle Noble know that I have reserved a room at the Adams Mark for the reunion. I asked for a room with two double beds, and I requested it for Fri. July 31 through Wed. Aug. 5th, in case I decide to stay on a few days. They should be sending our confirmation to your address.

No comments: