Friday, February 25, 2011

WHAT'S THE BIG DEAL?

Dearest Friends,

You may be wondering why so many people would make the arduous drive out to this tiny resort where we lived.  What was the big attraction?  Was it the beach?  Probably not.  Indonesia is an archipelago made up of hundreds of islands.  No matter where you are in Indonesia, you are never far from a gorgeous beach!
Anyer Beach Sunset

Well then, could it have been the five-star cuisine?  Not hardly!  The best thing we had going for us was the little sate hut down by the beach each weekend.  The high point of our week was to walk down there on Sundays (John's only day off), to feast on a few of the tiny kebabs (pronounced sah' tay) and some of the sticky rice, which had been wrapped and steamed in little gift-like banana leaf packages.  However, though they were special to us, they were hardly worth driving several hours for.  You could get them anywhere in Indonesia!
The Sate Hut

So, what was it then?  Hmmmm.  Perhaps it was the bowling alley.  Yep, you heard me.  Anyer Beach, this simple little resort out in the middle of nowhere, reached only by the most primitive of roads, boasted a state of the art bowling alley!  Go figure.
Anyer Beach Bowling Alley

3 comments:

Hill Country Hippie said...

Via Email:
It was interesting about all of the unliberated women. Now when you got to Bahrain it was different. Lots of us worked and I felt we were a fairly liberated bunch. I do remember when I first moved in there were some Thai women that were married to offshore workers that lived behind us. They were very nice and taught me how to eat with chop sticks but I remember thinking that all they were concerned with were diamond rings and what their husbands could buy them. Of course, once I visited Thailand and saw how poor it was I understood better. I was very glad to meet some American liberated girls!!!!!

Hill Country Hippie said...

Via Facebook:

*
Pat Weirich: I count as one of my all-time memorable meals was the Lobster Thermidor at the Anyer Beach Motel and it was so cheap.
28 minutes ago · LikeUnlike
*
Becky Thomas Lane: I don't remember having it there, but I remember eating lobster, dripping with butter, at the Harbor Grill in the Hilton, every time we went to Singapore, along with a Caesar salad prepared table-side, and some flaming dessert. I would kill for some of that lobster right now!

Hill Country Hippie said...

That first comment about the "unliberated" women is actually from my friend Paula, not me!