Thursday, December 8, 2011

LETTERS FROM SUMATRA: HE SAID/SHE SAID




Dearest Friends,

Often times John and I would both compose letters home at around the same time, and they would end up being mailed in the same envelope.  Not only did it save on postage, it also allowed the readers to see things from two different perspectives.  I found the following two letters in the same envelope with that Christmas letter that I posted last week:

DECEMBER 10, 1991


HE SAID:

Dear Mom & Dad,

As usual, Becky is really getting excited about Christmas.  She had the tree up even before we had all our shipping cartons unpacked.  The house is beginning to look a little bit more like home now.  The kids are settling in, although Alexis is still having a little problem adjusting.  We had a meeting with her teacher and principal last week to discuss a few things we can do to get her caught up and all.  They are willing to work with Alexis a little after school to help her out.  Then we've set up a schedule for her and Austin to follow each day for home work and studying.  I think in the long run this will be good for Alexis.  If we get her into some good study habits now, it will make it a lot easier on her down the road.  What is great is the teachers' willingness to work with her after school.  That would never happen back in the Midland system.


There are a lot of different Christmas activities going on now.  Last week we went into Lhok Seumawe to attend a Christmas service at the only Christian church anywhere around, other than ours on the compound.  Quite an experience.  With all the functions and children's activities scheduled over the next two weeks, there will be no idle time between now and Christmas.  Our house is on the womens' Christmas parade of homes this year.  Becky is a little upset because it doesn't look like the new furniture she ordered will make it in time.  She really wanted it to fix up the house.

Dad, Mom mentioned that you were going over to the Y and doing a little exercise.  That's great.  Are you just doing something on your own or with a group?  I know you'll feel better just getting out a bit.  I plan on playing a little golf after the Christmas holidays now that my clubs are here.  Becky has been talking to Peggy Reeh about taking some lessons with her.


I'm not sure what our plans for Christmas are this year.  I think we'll try to wait until Christmas morning before opening any presents.  Maybe let the kids open one or two Christmas Eve.  Despite all the activities, it still won't be the same.  I sure hate to think of you two spending it by yourselves.  Wish you could be here.  Several families have had their folks come in this past week.  Speaking of which, Mother asked about travel arrangements.  What do you have in mind?  Typically, people fly into Singapore.  We would meet you there, spend a night or two, then fly to Indonesia on the company plane.  We would make any hotel arrangements from this end.  The easiest flight is American out of Dallas, non-stop to Tokyo.  You change planes in Tokyo and fly Japan Air to Singapore, arriving around midnight.  I would also suggest paying a little extra to fly business class.  Not as expensive as first class, but a lot more comfortable than economy.

Well, I guess that's about it for now.  I'll close and try to get this to someone who is heading to Singapore this week.  Hopefully you will have it before Christmas.  We'll be thinking of you.  You might try calling us Christmas Eve, your time.  Take care and we all wish you two a very Merry Christmas.

Love,
John, Becky and the Kids

SHE SAID:


Dear George and Theda,

Boy, we just had the most fun weekend ever!  Unfortunately, I can hardly move my bod today as a result of it.  It was Trappers' Days!  I just couldn't believe how much trouble the Canadians went to, organizing the whole thing.  It was fantastic!  Everyone was divided up into five different teams, and we competed against each other for two days in events such as tug-of-war, hockey, snow shoe races, flap-jack flipping, dog sled races (six human "dogs" pulling a real sled with a passenger -- a real killer!), log rolling (an actual log which they floated in our swimming pool -- first it was too rough, so they polished it up, then it was too slick, so they put carpeting on it, then it kept sinking, so they had to put inner tubes on each end!), and last but not least, the trap line race, where we had to run all over tarnation, trying to find painted coconuts, then try to lug as many as possible back to the starting point, using only our hands and the clothes on our backs -- not easy!  Everything ended with a dinner-dance on Saturday night, with a program where they did some hilarious skits and handed out awards.  John's team came in second.  He got some of the games on video, so everyone will probably get to see me being knocked on my butt while playing hockey!

The Christmas season is already in full swing over here.  We went to our first Christmas party on November 30th, and there's a pretty steady stream of them from here on out.  The kids will get out of school at noon this Friday, and a lot of people have family coming to spend about a month.  Sure wish we did!  I miss you all terribly, but I must admit, I am really enjoying this Christmas so far.  For the first time in ages, I will have all the time I need, to do all of the things I've always wanted to do -- with the kids, around the house, baking, wrapping, etc. -- and with lots of help, and plenty of money too!  Quite a switch from my days working the Floral/Catering holiday madhouse!  Besides, I just don't think I could bear the sadness of being back at Chez Vous this Christmas, with Chef D. gone.  I've written to B. several times, but so far, no reply.  From what I hear, she's not doing too well.  I can't even imagine how she will survive the Christmas mayhem with K, D, and me all gone at once!  I hope she has found some new help.

Well, back here in Indonesia, they are having their Second Annual Christmas Tour of Homes on the 23rd.  All the ladies will load up onto a bus and go through about ten different homes, to see how they are decorated, then have lunch at the restaurant.  I was really looking forward to it, until I discovered that one of the houses on the tour is ours!  I was supposed to get my new furniture this week, but I have a sneaking suspicion it won't show up until after Christmas.  Oh well.  Right now we are having some yard decorations painted.  They are turning out gorgeous, and he's only charging me about $10 each for them (they'd cost hundreds in the States!).

Judging from this photo, the furniture arrived in time!
Guess that's about all the news.  Hope you had a good visit in Ohio.  Keep checking on those travel details.  We can't wait to have our first visitors!  Have a great Christmas, and write soon.

No comments: