Friday, December 30, 2011

LETTERS FROM SUMATRA: LEXIE'S BIRTHDAY BASH


20th January, 1992

Howdy there folks at home,

Is everybody freezing their little tushes off?  I spent all afternoon Sunday on my big purple float that has  little holes for your drink in the armrests.  I deserved it, after all I went through putting on Alexis' 9th birthday extravaganza.  I hope my friends there are duly appreciative of being able to let McDonalds or the roller rink do all the work for you.  I guess it wouldn't have been so bad if Santa Claus hadn't brought her this stupid book full of party ideas.  She chose the "Enchanted Garden" theme, which meant we were getting all the twinkle lights back out to string in the trees, hanging wind chimes, cutting out a bazillion little gold moons and stars to hang from the ceiling, baking fairy ring cakes and pixie pizzas, and trying to figure out how to make a wishing well from a trash can.  Then of course, it rained the entire day, so we had to move everything indoors (18 little girls, and one little brother, dressed up as fairies, pixies and leprechauns, bouncing off my walls!).  I guess it was all worth it though -- at least the kids had a great time.

Smartest thing I ever did?  Putting the older kids in charge of entertainment!
A lull in the rain allowed them to try out the bubble wands.
We're starting up a new session of after school activities this week.  Instead of teaching cooking to toddlers again, I decided to try teaching a craft/sewing class to 2nd through 6th grade girls.  I think it will be fun.  Alexis signed up to take tennis from another mom who is supposed to be really good.  She had her first lesson today, and seemed to have a great time.  If she gets good enough, maybe she can teach me!  Austin will be taking "Fun with Bikes".  Hopefully, it will include some bike safety lessons. He makes me really nervous!  I still haven't got around to trying out my golf clubs -- I seem to be putting it off.

Not much else to tell right now.  We've been invited to one of those "How to Host a Murder" parties next weekend, by a couple that's pretty zany, so it's sure to be interesting.  Also, we're having an exchange with the international school in Medan.  About 30 of their kids are coming down here for a fun-filled weekend, and we will have a 3rd grade boy staying with us.  Guess that's about it.  Take care, and write soon.

Love,
Becky, John, Austin and Alexis

P.S.  Theda, Lex loved the books about Molly McGuire that you sent her.  Did you know that they are part of the American Girl Doll Collection?  We gave her the "Samantha" doll and books for her birthday.  The next time you are at Sam's, check their book department and see if they still have some of the American Girl calendars, diaries, activity sets, etc.  Those would all be great things to put back until next summer, for her birthday and Christmas.  There are also all kinds of clothes and accessories that you can order from their catalog, to go with the doll, but they are outrageously expensive, so I thought I would see if the tailors here could make some matching dresses for Lex and her doll, if I show them some pictures from the catalog. (Her doll is dressed in the styles of 1904 -- sort of Victorian, with pinafores, etc.)  Also, I might be able to get some wicker furniture made to fit the doll.  Can you tell I'm having as much (or more) fun with this as Alexis?


Oh yeah.  Did you send some books to Austin as well?  If so, I'm sure they will be there when we go to Singapore of Feb. 7th. (we're finally taking the kids to the orthodontist -- the dentist here thought Austin should to as well.  He thinks if they start "expanding" his jaw early, maybe they could avoid pulling a bunch of teeth.)  The kids both thought the Kids Discover magazine you sent was really cool, and would love to get more of them!  Well, take care.

No comments: