Thursday, December 1, 2011

PENANG


Dearest Friends,

That trip to Penang, which I mentioned in my letter, ended up being one of the most memorable family vacations of our lives.  First and foremost was the resort itself.  I think it was called Golden Sands, and it was one of those lushly exotic oceanfront resorts that you see in travel brochures -- the kind with an open air lobby and lagoon-like swimming pools surrounded by palm trees and lounge chairs.  All you had to do was raise a little flag and a waiter would appear at your elbow with the icy beverage or snack of your choosing.  The only downside was in getting there, as the road from the airport to the resort followed the shoreline, with all its twists and turns.  Never a good thing for me, but man-oh-man, was it ever worth it!


We had traveled there alone, only to find several other families we knew already there, one of which had seven or eight children, so our kids had plenty of playmates to keep them company at the pool, as they wore themselves to a frazzle climbing up the awesome rockslide into the pool, over and over and over again.  That left us free to lounge, read, and visit with the other parents, just keeping a watchful eye out.  The resort also had a kid's club, based in its own little house next to the hotel, and our kids actually asked us to take them there, after hearing glowing reports from the other kids about the fun activities they had scheduled for each day.



When they eventually grew weary of that and the pool, we hired a car and driver to take us to do some shopping, tour a batik factory and a butterfly farm, and to go to Lexi's favorite (NOT!), the arboretum-like place where you could walk through the jungle and buy little bags of peanuts to feed the monkeys.  If only someone had warned the poor kid that you have to make sure the alpha male gets fed first.  Otherwise he's liable to launch himself at you when you least expect it, scaring you half to death, and he'll grab the whole dang bag right out of your hands!  Twenty years later, she's still not too crazy about monkeys, but I bet she'd go back to that resort in a heartbeat!




3 comments:

Hill Country Hippie said...

Via Facebook:
*
JoBeth Cloud I still have this Christmas card. LOL
*
Becky Thomas Lane Ha! I didn't even remember doing that! Did I have it made into a card, or just stick it inside one?
*
JoBeth Cloud I think it was a card. I can check. All of my picture Christmas cards and pictures sent with cards are in a family scrap book.
*
Crystal Lee Freels We spent 4 vacations there. We always stayed at the Rasa Sayang and used the pools at the Golden Sands. It was a quieter hotel at the Rasa Sayang more of the adult version, but still part of the ShangriLa hotels along that strip. And my children all loved those pools and the kids day groups. However, the last time, Ryan got tonsillitis and a really sore throat...probably too many germs in the Golden Sands pools was the doctor's thought.
*
Becky Thomas Lane Crys, that doesn't surprise me. Of course, the thing we probably should have worried about even more was the Hash that ended with the kids swimming in the river. I was terrified that they would end up with some weird parasite, but I never heard of anyone getting sick.

Hill Country Hippie said...

Via Facebook:
#
Crystal Lee Freels Yes, I worried about that one! And a couple of times there were insect issues on the Hash...Linden stepped in a beehive and a villager chewed some plant and put that on the stings which relieved the pain...another time Stephanie and another girl walked into a swarm of what looked like gnats but left them feeling stung all over and itchy...who knows what that was.
13 hours ago · LikeUnlike
#
Crystal Lee Freels Forgot about the leeches...those were fun too!! I experienced them a couple of times.
13 hours ago · LikeUnlike
#
Becky Thomas Lane Thank heavens I never did, or that would have been my last hash ever!
2 hours ago · LikeUnlike
#
Jane Jones Crys, Didn't one of your girls break her arm on a Hash in Brastagi? Bruce did the same thing and often talks about how quickly her break healed and his old bones took forever!!
7 minutes ago · LikeUnlike
#
Becky Thomas Lane My worst memory was of the kids and I getting separated from everyone else on one of the longer hashes, it getting dark, and wasn't even sure if I was on the right path. I was cursing my hubby something awful! That probably was my last hash ever.

Hill Country Hippie said...

Via Facebook:
Nellie Gonsoulin Hartsell I thought has was a drug!
21 hours ago · LikeUnlike
#
Becky Thomas Lane It is, but this is another thing altogether!
16 hours ago · LikeUnlike
#
Crystal Lee Freels Yes, Stephanie had a green stick break on her wrist and yes it did heal rapidly. That can be credited to youth.

That hash I get my name one was in the hills of Bukit Indah. I got separated, could see the pool and restaurant but could not find paper or how to get there. Finally Tony Semerad came back up with water and I got in down. I think I was one of several that got lost that day. It was a marathon hash.
7 hours ago · LikeUnlike
#
Becky Thomas Lane What was your Hash name Crys? I don't remember.
6 hours ago · LikeUnlike
#
Crystal Lee Freels Petticoat. And Stephanie did get sick after that river swimming episode. I thought so but she confirmed it. I think Dr Connely treated her for everything possible because she swallowed some water. As she put it, she nearly drowned and swallowed some water in the process.