Thursday, March 8, 2012

GOOD LUCK FOLLOWS ME AROUND THE GLOBE

Dearest Friends,

I have always been rather lucky when it comes to contests. You'd be shocked at how many  prizes I have won, considering how few contests I have bothered to enter. In Sumatra I shocked even myself, however, by winning the grand prize in a contest I didn't enter!


Almost everyone on the compound had ordered at least a few pieces of teak or rattan from the furniture-makers in Medan, but only a few had ordered from this one fellow in Singapore (Or was it Jakarta? I really can't remember.) I had been with friends when they ordered from this guy, and his stuff was indeed beautiful, but it was just way too expensive for this frugal frau. Then, however, Danny and Peggy invited John and I over to admire their new fold-out bar when it arrived, and that was all it took. My hubby just had to have one! We knew we couldn't take our full-sized patio bar home with us -- there just wouldn't be room for it in most houses. But this? This would fit in most any house! Eventually, I caved in.



A few weeks after I placed the order, I got a letter from the furniture-maker. I expected it to say the usual "Oops, so sorry! Delivery will be much later than we told you." That is not what it said. Instead I found out that, unbeknownst to me, there had been a drawing for several pieces of furniture, and they had entered the name of every single person who had ever placed an order with them. Guess who won, not just any old prize, but the muy grande prize of a Fold Out Bar? Yep, little ol' me. They gave me a choice: apply the prize credit towards the bar we had already ordered, or use it to order something else. Sooo, we ended up ordering this...


and then we couldn't resist ordering this as well...


and, oh yeah, there was also a cute little curio cabinet to hang on the wall. So, yeah, as you can see, winning that contest ended up costing me a bundle. I should have know better than to let John go to the showroom with me! But, here it is, almost 20 years later, we're still using all those pieces, and they are still gorgeous, so...maybe it was all for the best, huh?

No comments: