Saturday, March 3, 2012

TWO WOMEN ABROAD

Wow! I do not miss the styles of the early 90s -- especially belly bags and craftily adorned tee-shirt sets.
Dearest Friends,

After Carolyn had spent about a week with us there on the company compound, she and I headed off on our big adventure. We took the company plane to Singapore first, and I introduced her to a few of my favorite places.

Soaking in the atmosphere on the verandah of the Raffles Hotel
Afternoon tea at the Raffles
I believe this was inside the Singapore airport.
From there we were off to Hong Kong, where it was Carolyn's turn to act as tour guide, since she had been there once before. Well, come to think of it, I guess I had to, as John and I stopped there on our honeymoon. Her visit, however, was much more recent, and of a longer duration!

We dined at one of the famous floating restaurants, and ate Salt & Pepper Prawns that made me moan out loud!
An Indoor Market
Riding the Kowloon Ferry
A gorgeous stall in the fabric market -- too bad the photo sucks.
There are places in both Singapore and Hong Kong where little old men gather  each morning beneath thousands of birds in ornate bamboo cages. We each bought one of those cages, which Carolyn had to hand-carry all the way back to the states.  Guess what they were selling at every Pier I Imports, by the time I moved home?
Dim Sum
It was a fabulous adventure to be shared with my big sister, and we felt ever so intrepid, for it was the first time either of has had explored a foreign country without being part of a tour group, or at least having our hubbies along for protection!

No comments: